14 January 2022
Are you thinking about renovating your home? Bathrooms are the most sacred part of a home, and the most-used space for living even though you only spend half your day there. When it comes to buying a home, a prospective buyer will always inevitably inspect the condition of the house and its assets including flooring and wall areas where tiles are usually found. Here’s how you can create a JT exclusive transformation to your bathroom with our cutting edge trends, all without the need for excess elbow grease.
Whether you are selling a basic home or a luxury apartment, an aesthetically appealing bathroom can provide you with multiple benefits. By adding your own personal style, renovations can spice up your lifestyle and effectively increase the market value of your home, all the while making your property attractive to prospective buyers, and lead the way into a modern tiling sensation. But, how do you go about renovating your bathroom? Does your bathroom need a renovation in the first place? If you’re constantly plagued with the thought How is this renovation going to be within my budget? then this one’s for you.
Deciding on a bathroom renovation can seem overwhelming. But it need not be so. Here are some bathroom renovation tips that can make the process easier and more profitable.
Determine whether a renovation is needed
If you have a bathroom with decades-old designs, or tiles that have any physical signs of damage such as chips, cracks or even those tiny specks here’s how you can revitalise your space to a whole new level.
However, if it was renovated as recently as 5 or 6 years ago, a minimal upgrade should suffice. Simple things such as replacing your vanity or changing your shower/tub tiles is sometimes all it takes to give your bathroom a new and refreshing look.
For inspiration, check out houses in your neighborhood that are similar to your home in design to make a decision.
Seek advice from real estate agents to decide what type of bathroom renovation your home would need. Real Estate agents keep up with residential property trends and they know what type of properties sell faster in the market. Once you have the information you need, you’ll be on your way to creating a newer and more stylish bathroom.
Set your renovation budget
Set your bathroom renovation budget at 5 to 10% of the total property value. Done the right way, a bathroom renovation can help recover the cost and even more and a basic renovation will prove to be cheaper than a complete redesign that involves the addition of luxury accessories and on top of that, the heavy labour that comes with it. Bathroom renovations can include luxury elements but ensure that you upgrade only the right items, those that are going to be of practical and long-lasting value to a prospective buyer.
Here are some things you may want to renovate:
- Flooring – Investing in quality flooring is always a good idea, while there are cheaper options tiling is more durable and long lasting than most. What’s more, it does not suffer damage owing to changes in humidity and temperature levels and an underfloor heating system can be a great additional luxury and is an attractive feature.
- Cabinetry – Go for a more stylish model of cabinetry with ample storage space. If the cabinet is only a few years old, a coat of paint should do the trick.
- Fixtures – Toilets, taps and shower heads can age a bathroom and create additional running costs. Replacing existing ones with newer, water-efficient models can help reduce water consumption, which will be an attractive asset for prospective buyers.
- Ventilation – Sufficient ventilation makes your bathroom hygienic and comfortable. It improves the air quality inside the bathroom and helps to minimise the possibility of mould and mildew. Update your venting equipment such as ventilation fans for quieter and more efficient functioning.
- Lighting – Install energy-efficient lighting systems to reduce energy bills. If the bathroom design carries something unique such as a rare or popular architectural style, then you may want to highlight it to attract the attention of prospective buyers so consider accent lighting for such areas.
- Shower doors – Replace them with newer stylish ones for an upscale look.
Clean the bathroom thoroughly
Before you decide to renovate your bathroom, be sure to clean it thoroughly. This will give you a good idea about what’s right with the space and what needs improvement. A thorough cleaning using natural cleaning products removes dirt and grime from the sink, bathtub, shower curtains, walls, floors and grouts. Common intruders such as soap scum and mould can also be removed. Household items such as lemon, vinegar and baking soda can be used instead of harsh chemical cleaners for the purpose. Once your bathroom is clean, you’ll find it easier to decide what goes out and what stays.
Choose neutral colours
If you are looking to change the colour scheme of your bathroom, choose neutral colours. With bright colours, your bathroom can look gaudy. Our Spectrum range has 29 different colours to choose from ranging from Pacific, Bermuda, Linen, Buttermilk and Crisp Apple giving you an extensive variety to deck out your space and bring vibrancies into your projects. Choose traditional colours for your wall paint, fixtures, floors and lights. If you want a colourful bathroom, use colour variations for elements that could be easily replaced with little money (e.g. linen shower curtains).
Design to feel spacious
Spacious bathrooms tend to be more attractive to prospective buyers. If your bathroom is small, use appropriate design techniques to make it look larger.Here are some ways to make your bathroom look spacious:
- Our larger rectified tiles have less grout lines making your room appear bigger
- Install a skylight. You could also consider installing a window if your bathroom doesn’t have one already to make your bathroom look spacious.
- Choose smaller floor tiles with a patterned design. This will make your bathroom look roomy.
- Choose lighter shades for your wall tiles. Lighter colours tend to make a space look larger.
- Clean the clutter from your bathroom. A cluttered bathroom makes it appear crowded, which can put off prospective buyers easily. Clean your cabinet and ensure you’re your bathroom looks tidy and fresh always.
Keep your bathroom clean
Ensure that you complete your bathroom renovation project before you show your home to prospective buyers. Clean the bathroom thoroughly once the renovation is complete. Keep the bathroom tidy and fresh always. Have fresh and clean towels hanging on the racks. Use a clean designer container for your soap to have the place look clean, fresh and untouched.
Buy high quality tiles
With over 50 years of experience in the Australian market, Johnson Tiles can provide you with the best tile solutions for your renovation projects. We offer a wide range of high quality floor and wall tiles in a variety of shapes, sizes, colours, patterns, finishes and materials with a 10 year warranty to make sure that your bathroom continues to impress for years to come.